And like its legendary predecessor, the HHB PORTADAT, the new PORTADISC has been developed in close consultation with leading sound recordists and ENG professionals, ensuring a recorder that handles and operates impeccably in the field. THE WORLD'S MOST ADVANCED PORTABLE MINIDISC RECORDER.
It's no surprise that MiniDisc became such a popular format with journalists, broadcasters and sound recordists. Inexpensive, durable and easy to handle, MD delivers up to 80 minutes of stereo digital recording (160 minutes of mono) with the additional benefits of disc/track naming and basic editing facilities.
Designed to optimise these advantages for field recording applications, the HHB PORTADISC MDP500 is currently the most advanced portable MiniDisc recorder available.
EXCEPTIONAL SOUND QUALITY
Any early doubts about the sound quality of MiniDisc are immediately dispelled. Its advanced V4.5 ATRAC recording algorithm combines with high performance mic preamps, precision DACs and on-board limiters and bass roll-off to deliver recordings of exceptional quality.
DEPENDABLE, PROFESSIONAL MD DRIVE
Similar attention has been paid to build quality. For maximum reliability, the PORTADISC uses a dependable, professional MD drive - not a low-cost consumer device, and the recorder is housed in a tough, 1.2mm steel chassis with transport keys and function buttons protected by a durable rubber moulding.
Drawing on the experience gained during development of the PORTADAT portable DAT recorder, HHB has, once again, sought the advice of leading sound recordists and ENG professionals to ensure that the PORTADISC handles perfectly in the field. Transport keys, record level controls and all major functions are ideally located for quick, easy access and menu structures are straightforward and logical.
Record level controls are lockable, the phone level control retracts and a Keyhold facility prohibits accidental mis-operation during recording. The main LCD display is large and clear with switchable illumination and, critically, can be viewed from a wide range of angles. 19 segment metering is provided with switchable peak hold and a margin indicator accurate in 1dB steps to -60dB. Headphone monitoring is available in Stereo, Mono-L, Mono-R and Both modes, with an additional, mono internal speaker provided for non-critical monitoring. In the event of a microphone or cable failure, the PORTADISC even includes an on-board microphone for back-up.
6 SECOND PRE-RECORD BUFFER MEANS YOU'LL NEVER MISS A TAKE
To ensure consistent, glitch-free recording on the move, the PORTADISC features a 40 second memory buffer. To ensure that the operator never misses a take, a pre-buffer continuously records the 6 seconds of audio before the Record switch is pressed while an Auto Start feature with variable threshold makes the PORTADISC ideal for use in noise monitoring applications.
CONFIGURED FOR THE WAY YOU WORK
Using a simple, intuitive menu system, the PORTADISC user can configure and store up to 5 User Set-Ups selecting input sources, mic limiting / bass roll-off, phantom power, headphone monitoring formats, time / date display formats, auto track increment and threshold levels, etc.
Recording from digital sources is easy with a built-in sample rate converter accepting 32 and 48kHz signals and auto sync recording with CD and DAT IDs converted automatically to MD tracks.
In addition to disc and track naming, the PORTADISC also provides basic editing allowing the user to go directly to a particular point in a track, combine two tracks together to make one, divide one track into two, move tracks and erase tracks. Tracks can be numbered manually during recording with the Mark button, or automatically with the threshold level variable from 30dB to 60dB in 10dB increments. Tracks can be accessed directly using the AMS Forward and Back keys.
- Designed in consultation with leading sound recordists and ENG professionals for use in demanding field recording applications
- Rugged, dependable professional MD drive - not a consumer mechanism!
- Flexible powering options - NiMH rechargeable batteries, standard AA alkaline batteries, 12-15V DC and AC mains power
- Advanced ATRAC 4.5 recording algorithm and 40 second memory buffer deliver high quality, glitch-free recordings
- First and only MD portable to feature a USB (Universal Serial Bus) interface for transferring audio to and from Windows-based PCs and Macintosh computers. YOU CANNOT DRAG AND DROP FILES FROM THE MINIDISC TO A PC.
- Comprehensive connectivity - high quality balanced XLR mic inputs with switchable 48V phantom power, limiters and bass roll-off, analogue line outputs, coaxial and optical digital I/Os, parallel remote control
- Large illuminated LCD display with wide viewing angle
- 6 second pre-record buffer
- Intuitive menu system with 5 User Set-Ups
- On-board editing
- Built-in SRC with digital sync recording
- Supplied accessories include soft case, carrying strap, NiMH battery caddy, spare battery caddy, AC adaptor/charger and HHB MD80
All trade marks acknowledged.